Jackson didn't like these either, but I did! They're actually very good as an appetizer for other Italian foods.
Eggplant Snack Sticks
adapted from Taste of Home's Fun Food magazine
(In the magazine they look more like french fries, but I cut mine differently, obv.)
1 medium eggplant
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ (I used milled flax seed instead)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3/4 cup egg substitute (I just used an egg)
1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, warmed (I added a little bit of Parmesan cheese to the sauce)
- Cut the eggplant into strips (or cubes like mine, but make them relatively thin or you have to cook them longer)
- Combine the wheat germ (or flax seed), cheese, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning in one bowl.
- Dip eggplant in the egg then coat with wheat germ mixture.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Spritz eggplant with cooking spray (I used EVOO- no additives like some cooking sprays have)
- Broil for 3 minutes.
- Turn eggplant over and spritz again.
- Broil for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
Looking for more recipes? Check out: Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays ...Whats cooking Wednesday... Tuesdays at the Table....Homemaker Monday...Mouthwatering Monday, DIY Day, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday , What I Made This Week (Fri) and Tackle It Tuesday!