Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Healthy Lunch Recipes: 2 twists on Chicken Salad

When I'm dieting, I almost always have the same thing for lunch: either chicken salad or tuna salad.  They are so quick and easy to make!  So I've been adding random ingredients in to try to keep myself from getting bored with them without adding a ton of fat or calories. These are two recipes that I've come up with.

Veggie Chicken Salad
(2 servings)


Ingredients:
1 small can of chicken
1 tsp fat-free Ranch dressing
dash of black pepper 
1/4 c. finely chopped tomato
1/4 c. finely chopped banana peppers
1/4 c. finely chopped red bell peppers


Directions: Mix all of the ingredients. Serve on top of spinach leaves.

I have not cut all carbs out of my diet, but I try to eat less.  Sometimes I just need a sandwich to fill me up though, so I usually make the second serving of the Veggie Chicken Salad into a melt.  I've seen tons of recipes for tuna melts, but for some reason the thought of eating cheese on top of tuna makes me a little sick. But chicken and cheese? YUM.

Veggie Chicken Salad Melt


Ingredients:
half of the veggie chicken salad
wheat bread (I use Arnold's Sandwich thins)
sliced tomato
1/4 c. shredded low-fat part-skim mozzerella cheese

Directions:
Make into a sandwich with cheese on top. Broil for 1-2 minutes.

Easy enough for you? HA! Like I said, quick and easy, but still low in calories.

14 comments:

kelly at keeping up with kelly said...

Looks good!!!!!!

Follower now

Upstatemomof3 said...

Those look excellent!! I am always looking for new recipes for lunch. So, thanks!!

Christen said...

Both sound delicious!
I've never actually made chicken salad, but I had some at a friend's house last week & it was delicious, she uses can chicken, mayo, sour cream, almonds, grapes, lemon juice, tarragon, salt & pepper...I hope to try her recipe soon! I really like the texture of the almonds & grapes in her recipe!

Freely Living Life said...

I found you through "Friday Follow" and am now following you through Google Friend Connect. Come on over and visit us when you get a free moment. Happy Tuesday!
<3

Our Family said...

I have always wanted to try my hand at chicken salad. I like the idea of switching up the ingredients for a little variety. :)

Judy said...

I'm saving these recipes--I love chicken salad, and I like the idea of a healthier version!

Muthering Heights said...

Those sound tasty! :)

Annie said...

Looks yummy!!!

Thanks for comment on my blog.

Brandi said...

MMM...I like spinach, and a 1/2 a chicken breast from the crockpot usually, and ranch (I know fattening), avacado, tomatoes and if we have other veggies I add those too. I LOVE IT!

Lucy said...

Yum! I'll have to try these.

Just Breathe said...

I think I will try that for lunch tomorrow. The melt looks good too!
We have Oroweat you have Arnold's.
I wonder why they can't call it the same thing across the country.

Beth Anne said...

I love chicken salad too, especially with some Old Bay seasoning in it!

Michelle said...

Yummy! We do a lot of chicken and tuna salad at my house too. It's so versatile, and I can get the kids to eat it (miraculous). :)

Amanda said...

Great recipes! These look fantastic!