I have never eaten eggplant before, so I wasn't really sure about this recipe. But in the spirit of getting healthier and trying new things, I did, and I am so glad! It turned out to be really good!
Cheesy Italian Eggplant Bake
This recipe adapted from Shape magazine.
1 pound eggplant, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 sliced tomatoes
2 tablespoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
1 cup part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat the bottom of a baking dish with cooking spray. Season eggplant with salt and pepper to taste and bake for 15 minutes.
- Layer with half the sauce and half the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon each of basil and Italian seasoning, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with half the mozzarella.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden.
Check out more recipes at Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays ...Whats cooking Wednesday... Tuesdays at the Table....Homemaker Monday...Mouthwatering Monday, DIY Day, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday and Tackle It Tuesday!