Monday, February 8, 2010

Healthy Recipe: Cheesy Italian Eggplant Bake

I have never eaten eggplant before, so I wasn't really sure about this recipe. But in the spirit of getting healthier and trying new things, I did, and I am so glad! It turned out to be really good!


Cheesy Italian Eggplant Bake
This recipe adapted from Shape magazine.

Ingredients

1 pound eggplant, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 sliced tomatoes
2 tablespoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
1 cup part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded*

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2.  Coat the bottom of a baking dish with cooking spray.  Season eggplant with salt and pepper to taste and bake for 15 minutes.  
  3. Layer with half the sauce and half the tomatoes.
  4. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon each of basil and Italian seasoning, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with  half the mozzarella.
  5. Repeat layers.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden. 
*The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, but I don't like ricotta, so I took it out and doubled the mozzarella.

Check out more recipes at Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays ...Whats cooking Wednesday... Tuesdays at the Table....Homemaker Monday...Mouthwatering Monday, DIY Day, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday and Tackle It Tuesday!

18 comments:

Amy said...

I love egg plant. It is so yummy..

Happy Tuesday.

My Round Robin is this Friday 2/12 if you want to link up this or anything you want to share..

____j said...

This sounds like it's pretty much Eggplant Parmesan. Aaron loves that stuff. I'll have to try it out.

Sherry said...

Yummy! I love eggplant!! :D

Mrs. P. said...

This sounds wonderful. I'll be saving this for when my garden is yielding LOTS of eggplants :)

Blessings!
Gail

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

That looks very tasty! It's going on my list of things to make. Thanks :)

Melissa said...

This looks like the easiest eggplant parmesan ever! Sounds like one to try; thanks!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

Hi there. Hi Just stopping by from the Follow Friday. I'm already following you. Glad you joined the hop again this week.

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

That looks so yummy. I will be sure to book mark it when we have our summer eggplants.

christy rose said...

Yum! I love eggplant!

Debbie said...

Another great way to use those eggplants. I love them. Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday and the February giveaway.

Upstatemomof3 said...

Hubby likes eggplant but not me.

Muthering Heights said...

That sounds soooooo delicious!

LeAnn * ~ See Great Things said...

Confession here, I have never eaten eggplant either. This look like the perfect recipe though to give it a try with. Thanks for the inspiration. ~

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

OH YUM!!!!

Shan said...

That looks delicious. Thanks for sharing this for WCW.

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

That looks awesome! I love one pan ddishes!

Rachel said...

I ADORE eggplant and am not a big fan of ricotta ;-) so, I probably would have twisted this similarly.

Looks and sounds yummy! Thank you for linking up

gfe--gluten free easily said...

This looks wonderful! Will have to make for my hubby to enjoy. He totatlly loves eggplant. :-)

Shirley